Today marks another important milestone for EnterpriseDB and PostgreSQL as we launch Postgres Plus Cloud Database. Our team of extraordinarily bright developers has been working for over a year with customers, community teammates and partners to create a “cloudified” version of Postgres that adds true elastic properties to the database while automating many typical DBA routines. All of this is delivered through a great looking centralized dashboard for monitoring, management and administration and it’s now available on Amazon EC2.
What does “cloudified” mean for a database? It’s the addition of technology that allows you to:
- Automatically scale in response to increased demand
- Set up highly available multi-node database clusters in minutes, not days
- Pay for your database as if it were a utility
You can read more about Postgres Plus Cloud Database here:
As we looked at the landscape of available cloud databases, four things became very clear:
- Before the launch of Postgres Plus Cloud Database, only Micrsoft SQL Server (solely via SQL Azure) and Oracle’s MySQL (solely via Amazon RDS) offered enhanced versions of a relational database to take advantage of inherent cloud scaling technology.
- PaaS and other cloud platform vendors needed a database vendor to deliver a valuable cloud compatible database component for their platform to bring maximum support, features and value to their customers.
- NoSQL options are varied and will continue to grow AND (not OR) old-school SQL RDBMS are as highly in demand in the cloud as they are in the data center.
- Just putting “cloud” in the name does NOT make a database “cloudified”
We are changing all that with this product launch. We are giving users a new option to run either the latest community version of PostgreSQL or our flagship Postgres Plus Advanced Server with Oracle database compatibility features on Amazon EC2. Perhaps more important is that we have architected Postgres Plus Cloud Database to be universally pluggable with any PaaS vendor platform. To that end, our work with leading platforms from CloudBees and Engine Yard will bring enhanced database capabilities to the growing number of developers adopting their technologies. And we are extending that work to include OpenStack, HP, Red Hat’s OpenShift and many others, making Postgres Plus Cloud Database the new standard relational database for all cloud platforms.Postgres Plus Cloud Database